[LRflex] R Solution 'Vaporware' (Was:Nikon Step Down Mechanism Ponderings)

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:52:02 -0500

George,
    you are quite right about Mirrorless Cameras offering a route to
an Auto-Aperture R Lens usage option. From the 'size' of the adapters
I've seen for using manual focus lenses on the existing micro four/
thirds cameras, I see it as more of an Engineering obstacle than it is
a Physical Size Impossibility for coming up with a really good R mount
adapter. Since, in the M4/3 world, they already have mount adapters
for using Full Size 4/3rd's AF lenses with full electronic connection,
I don't see it as impossible for programming an adapter's cpu to let
the camera properly control the stop down actuator for each exposure.
An underlying 'communication' structure is already accounted for -
creative programming would just then be called for to make it work
operationally.
    HOWEVER - such adapters/cameras would only be appropriate for part
of the R Lens User Community.
1) The 2x Field of View Multiplier of 4/3rds Cameras would mitigate
against it being appropriate for Wide Angle Photography.
2)  Doug Herr (& Others!) Essentially can't use such camera/adapter/
systems for the photography they do. Their Photography is
Intrinsically and Operationally tied to using genuine SLR Cameras with
sturdy bodies, good viewfinders, and high grade focus mirrors. Wading
in wetlands, rough terrain, and rain or snow, with Light Weight
Cameras hanging off Heavy Lenses getting to good shots with good
subjects -and- then having to compose and focus on an LCD screen or
EVF viewfinder with it's intrinsic panning, movement, and blackout
delays while shooting, borders on the impossible.
    I don't say such an adapter wouldn't be useful, nor wouldn't be
welcome, and would definitely be used by some, but it would have
limited appeal depending on individual circumstances.

Richard in Michigan