[LRflex] Re: R 80-200 f4.0 Vario Elmar R

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:48:16 -0700

on 10/5/05 6:56 PM, Steve Barbour at kididdoc@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I am looking at this lens, good shape, good price...considering a
> buy, and I'd like input from those who may be using it regarding its
> optical quality, and satisfaction issues from experienced Leica R
> photographers...
>
> yours thoughts are much appreciated,
>
> Steve

Steve, I've recently gotten one, no results back yet though... my initial
impression is that the build quality is definitely "Leica", which I could
not say for the Leitz/Minolta 75-200 f/4.5.  When I inquired about this lens
on several lists the responses were overwhelmingly positive, no negatives
whatsoever.  Erwin likes it too: he says it's not quite up to the quality of
the 70-180 f/2.8 APO.  Looking through the viewfinder I've noticed some
pincussion distortion at the long end and maybe some at the short end, but
only because I'm looking specifically for it.  It snaps into focus quite
nicely even on the matte area of the R4's viewscreen.  I'm sure David will
tell you much more, as will Ted once he returns from vacation.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com