[LRflex] Re: New posts

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:35:04 -0700

At 14/04/2006, you wrote:

>Bill:  I very much appreciate your taking the time and effort to share you
>DMR photos with us.  I have been going back and forth with reference to
>buying the DMR, or one of the Nikon digitals which can be used with my
>wife's Nikon lenses.  As you no doubt know, the Nikon 70s can be purchased
>for about $650.00 now, and while I don't suggest that the 70s is the equal
>of the DMR, one must wonder-despite having many of the R lenses- about the
>advantages of spending more money.
>
>At any rate, I like the soft pastel look of the photos you have shown us.  I
>wonder if the slightly soft look is due to the settings on the camera ( I
>have no knowledge of digital photography ), or were a result of how the
>images were "processed"?  Can you manipulate your DMR  so as to achieve a
>"sharper" look?
>
>Once again, thanks for sharing and guiding us.
>
>Elliot

Good mornin' Elliot!

If you're trying to decided if you wish to "go digital" or not, by
all means, buy the Nikon 70.  That's what I did, with the Canon
20D.   I used it for 8 months and found that, for me, digital was the
answer.  I lost $700 on that effort, but it was better than spending
$6000 on a DM-R, only to find that it was not the answer, and losing
1/3 of that cost!

However, in the end I had to go with the DM-R because of:

1) superior sharpness & fine detail.  (no anti-alaisisng filter)
2) better (more natural) colours.
3) less 'processed' look to the photos as compared with Brands C & N.
4) ability to use all my Leica glass w/auto aperture.

In the end, the horrifically high price of the DM-R was worth every penny!

Re: your question re: a "sharper" look... see, once again, the photos
at http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Leica_nite_06.htm  All are developed
in Silkypix and then colour corrected (if necessary) in PS7.  Only
one (the last) was given any  sort of "noise control", and then it
was with Neat Image.

Just as different films and developers yield different results, I
have discovered that different software "developers" yield different
results with different "raw" files.

Peter Werner put me on to Silkypix (out of Japan). It seems to be the
best 'developer' software for CR2 & DNG files... and it's
free!   Well, almost free. The evaluation download has all the needed
features and is not time limited.  You only need to send them money
for the 'extra' features, such as distortion control and horizon
levelling... and then it's just 16000 Yen or about US$150.

I recommend that anybody using RAW files from a Canon or DM-R try it. :-)

BTW: Great companion programs for SilkyPix are FastStone Image Viewer
and Neat Image.  The first is fast, free and understands every sort
of RAW file going.  The second is a free, time unlimited trial, with
all features save one, enabled.  If you wish to save in a format
other than .jpg you have to send them a small amount of money.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www3.telus.net/~telyt

Limited Edition Prints at:
        http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/prints.htm