[LRflex] Re: New Subscriber Introduction

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:28:03 +0100

Mike wrote in part:

However, in college I picked up a whole new Nikon habit after getting an F (plain eyelevel prism) and a non-AI Nikkor-S 50 f/1.4; there was a happy confluence of events and I went on to write a website about the Nikon F and F2 back around 1996-98 when I was pursuing a graduate degree. My advisor would probably say that I spent too much time (and stipend money -- I lived on spaghetti for two years) on such pursuits, but I ended up acquiring quite a fair range of prime Nikkors, 15-600mm, and an equally insatiable thirst for knowledge on lens design. This eventually culminated in getting digital bodies to fit the lenses I had -- again, finances dictated in 2006 that I go after the obsolescent Kodak DCS 600-series.

Ah, you're _that_ Mike Liu! When I acquired my first very battered but functional Nikon FTn back in the '90s, I found your website very useful to clarify more arcane points of Nikon use. Many thanks. Up to then I'd been a Leica man - still am for that matter, but my Nikons have bred like rabbits in the meantime.

Fast forward to now, and I'm finding myself making reasons to go out with the Olympus E-1 I traded the Kodak DCS 660 for, with an old (Series VI) 35mm Elmarit-R attached to it. And I tell myself that the Nikkors are still pretty decent (and cheaper, at least -- the 80~200 f/4 Nikkor is a reasonable performer, and at the $50 it ran me, I have no complaints), but I still walk out the door with one of the two red-dot lenses attached (the other, a 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R) most days. I actually find it quite liberating to stick with a single lens and focal length lately.

Enjoy your new experiences with Leica glass and digital. For digital I've stuck with a Nikon D200 - a fine camera, and one which got David Young, prop. of this civilised group, out of a hole when Leica drowned his DMR during the LHSA Wetzlar visit. Plenty of shots on my website at:

http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor

Best

Alex
--