[LRFlex] Re: Leicaflex SL finder v R8 finder

  • From: "Peter M.C. Werner" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:44:35 +0100

Tony,

> I currently use SL's but am intrigued by the great comments I hear
about
> the R8. So much so that I would consider the purchase of an R8.
> Has anyone switched from using an SL to an R8 or vice versa ?

I have one each SL2, R8, R9.

My preference goes to the R9, but the R8 comes close behind. The
differences are minor: The R9 weighs slightly less due to a different
alloy; the mode switch has a lock so that you cannot accidentally change
the setting. There are some other minor differences that I never noticed
until now.

> Is the R8 finder brighter than the SL ?

The SL2 finder is both bigger and (very slightly) brighter. On the other
hand, I find the R8/R9 easier to use if you wear glasses: I can see the
whole image in the R8 finder at once, whereas I have to sort of pan in
the SL2 to see all the corners. Also, the R8 has a built-in dioptric
correction.

The selective auto-exposure mode is very agreeable, too and you can
always override it. I never use the very slow (over 1 sec) and very fast
(over 1/2000) speeds, I do not know if this could be important for you.

On the whole, I find myself using the R8 and R9 and leaving the SL2 at
home.
To me, the R8/R9 "feel" much better, but this is very personal.

> If one was to purchase an R8 are there any serial numbers to steer
away
> from

I would no longer give credence to the serial number advisories. Unless
you happen to get an early number that has never been sold (possible but
not probable), most likely any of the early problems were fixed during
its first ownership.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Peter

Peter Werner
Rue de l'Etraz 2 - 1183 Bursins - Switzerland
Tel +41-21-824-3615
www.alpareflex.com
www.kilfitt.org

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm