[LRflex] Re: Leica to abandon 4/3rds - how good will a Leica R AF system be??

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:36:39 -0700

On May 28, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Howard Cummer wrote:

Morning David!
The sun is shining in Vancouver this morning and all is right with the world. But, I haven't had my first coffee yet and that may make me more curmudgeonly than usual when I offer the following comment. Basis my experience with the M8 (dead shutter after 4 months, pixel lines in the replacement 23 days after receiving it) I would not rush to buy the R10 no matter what its specs.

and with David's own frightful experience with the DMR, I am a bit mystified why everyone sounds so hot to trot...

not even considering all the less than productive speculations,

Steve

Also, based on Leica's history of slow development and not being competitive with the latest and fastest technology - especially in the R line - I am very skeptical that their autofocus will be up to competing with the latest from Canon and Nikon. If Leica is abandoning 4/3rds where will they turn for AF expertise? Panasonic - not a tech leader in reflex AF. If Leica uses 4/3rds AF expertise then it will use Oly expertise as a starting point. I have an Oly E3 and in terms of autofocus it is not there yet either compared to the latest offerings form Canon and Nikon - although in many ways it is an exemplary camera - especially compared to its predecessors. I expect the R10 will have focusing performance like a Canon 60D or Nikon D100 - which is two generations behind the latest standards - so I likely will wait for the R11 or R12 - if Leica sustains the R line long enough to build them. I hope I am proven wrong at Photokina but I doubt it. Sigh!
Must go for coffee.
Cheers
Howard

Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 20:34:11 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Leica to abandon 4/3rds?

At 27/05/2008, you wrote:
Those would be my requirements, also, unless they dream up something
even more exciting that I can't think of now.  Nice and simple
controls. Give me an R8/9 with digital sensor. That would be perfect.

Way back in '06, I told Steven Lee that if he could build an R10 in
an R9 sized body, with an M8 sensor, at a near M8 price, I'd be first
one standing in line.  I still feel that way.

Cheers