[LRflex] Leica R9 : First impressions

  • From: Miguel Asensio <mfa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 18:16:00 -0600

Earlier today, about 4:30 pm, UPS delivered the R9 and I'm so in love with the camera that I hope you guys will let me excuse my urge to write about it.

As I mentioned earlier, it's like new in the box, literally. The strap was still in its original bag and the camera is absolutely Mint. Batteries were still in their original wrapping.

I had used an R9 and a DMR at a Leica demo day for about an hour several years ago and I remembered it being big and heavy; of course, most of that was the DMR itself. I was curious to see how the camera would feel all by itself. While it's a big camera, it's not as heavy as I expected it to be and it actually feels lighter than my M4; I'll have to weight them tomorrow to see how true that is. Ergonomically I find it very easy to hold and the controls seem well placed, intuitive, and just about right. I love the viewfinder and it's minimalist info (only what you need to know, no more).

I ran out of light before I could take any pictures but I'll spend the day tomorrow shooting a roll of slide film.

I did notice that it misread the ISO on a Fuji Astia 100F roll as being ISO 200. Is this a problem with the R9s in general or specific to Fuji canisters?

Miguel Asensio