[LRflex] Leica R 80-200 F4.0, or 180mm F2.8 - Advice needed

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leicaflex List <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 19:45:51 +1000

Hello,

I've been lurking on the list for a good while and have gleaned some
good knowledge as an observer and I thank everyone for that.  I have a
dilemma as I am in a position to upgrade my Leica 70-210 F4.0 to some
thing a little better (although I wouldn't mind some comment on this
lens as well)

I have heard that the 80-200 f4.0 is a great lens and great value and it
seems to be a substantial upgrade on the 70-210, however I am also
considering the 180mm f2.8 prime as I enjoy shallow depth of field in my
work and sometimes will use the focal length in low light situations.

As well as the 70-210 I have a 35-70 Elmarit, a 50mm Summicron and a
90mm Summicron.  Not sure which way to go with the choice of 180 prime
or 80-200 zoom.  Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Cameras I can mount the lens on are R5, R7, Digilux 3 via an adapter and
interestingly enough a Sigma SD14 with a modified R mount.  I purchased
the latter after someone on the list mentioned that the Sigma was
available with an R mount.  I have not been dissapoited with the
results.  I believe the Foveon sensor is superior to the Bayer variants
in most digital platforms, however one does have to live with the crop
factor as this is not a full frame sensor.  Happy to post some examples
for those interested but not sure where to post them.

Walter

--
Walter Krämer
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx