[LRflex] Re: IMG: More Boobies

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:29:12 -0500 (EST)

Miha Golobic wrote:

>Doug, you cease to amaze me! The second one gets 10/10! I can´t imagine it
>could get any better than this. A powerful image, yet so "simple".

Thank you Miha.  IMHO the 280mm f/4 APO adds a lot to this photo, there's a
clean, precise, powerful "look" I've seen in the photos made with the 280 APO
that I've yet to see in any photos made with any other lens, mine or otherwise.

>BTW, I read an article about Ivory-billed Woodpecker. It is considered
>extintc. But some recent data suggest this might not be so. Infact, there
>might be some evidence from 2005 (?) suggesting the bird was seen again. Can
>the Birdman of Sacramento confirm these speculations?

I attended a lecture by one of those who re-found the bird in 2005.  His
life-long hobby was to find the woodpecker, and in 2005 an unrepeatable series
of meteorological and mechanical mishaps led him to a search area where a team
sponsored by the National Audubon Society, The Nature Conservancy, the Cornell
Laboratory of Ornithology and the US Fish & Wildlife Service had seen the bird
and was trying to determine the bird's home range so that they could protect
the entire area the woodpecker needed.  It was all very hush-hush and once they
determined that he was legitimately interested in the bird they invited him to
join the team and ultimately he saw the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in the search
area.

Given the woodpecker's habitat, habits and scarcity I'm not surprised there
have been no incontrovertible photos of the bird.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Kailua
http://www.wildlightphoto.com