[LRflex] Re: IMG: More Boobies

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:25:10 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

David Young wrote:

>On 21/02/2009, you wrote:
>
>>I visited Waimanalo again yesterday morning and found a couple more
>>Red-footed Boobies:
>>
>>http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/sulidae/rfbo02.html
>>http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/sulidae/rfbo03.html
>>
>>My previous experience with these birds at this location suggested
>>that a lens as long as the 560mm lens wasn't required, and I wanted
>>the benefit of an automatic diaphragm so I used the 280mm f/4 with
>>1.4x APO-Extender instead.  Other technical stuff: R8/DMR, ISO 400,
>>shoulder stock.  All comments welcome.
>
>Both great catches, Doug!
>
>But I must agree with the almost universal opinion that the second is
>the better of the two.
>
>Thanks for sharing with us. :-)
>
>Questions...
>
>1) are these full frame with the 280/4+1.4ex?
>2) How is the little one doing? :-)

Thanks for looking and for your comments, David.

1) These are not full frame.  They're about 1/4 of the original picture area.
Despite the serious crop, the second photo fully fulfills my expectations for
the 280 APO with 1.4 extender :-)

2) she's doing very well, at 1 week old she was already 1 lb over birth weight
and we can see the changes in cognition almost daily. My daughter is already
saying that little Kaydence is growing up too fast.  I'll be back in Sacramento
next weekend.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Kailua
http://www.wildlightphoto.com