[LRflex] Black Bears (was: Re: Re: A couple of autumnal pictures)

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:07:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx> wrote:

> BTW, just how dangerous are those big brown/black beasties?
> I've read that they can be VERYunpredictable, and that they
> don't show any indicating signs of when they're about to get nasty.

Of the North American bears, the Black Bear (like the ones in David's recent
photos) are the least dangerous - at least, when treated with the respect and
caution they deserve.  Injuries from Black Bears occur most often when people
become complacent and/or ignore the fact that they are large powerful animals.
A Black Bear thinks of itself as a prey species because it evolved at a time
when there were Saber-tooth Cats, Dire Wolves, and Grizzly Bears.  A Black Bear
would rather run than attack but will defend itself when cornered.

Black Bears can be many colors, so the best way to identify them is the shape
of the head.  A Black Bear has a roman nose, while the Grizzly (a.k.a. Brown)
Bear has a dished face.  The Grizzly Bear is the one that's considered
unpredictable.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com