[LRflex] Re: Beroflex "close-focus"

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:57:39 -0700

Douglas Sharp wrote:

>in failing light, Beroflex 35-100mm set at 100mm f8 with close focus.
>The problem with the lens is, and now I remember why it was relegated to
>the shelf, the closest focus in normal mode is around 2,4 meters (9-ish
>feet).
>Anyway here are, in order :
>full frame
>crop, centre and bottom
>same crop sharpened with Neat Image, luminosity channel only.
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_2852_edited_2
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_2855_edited_1
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_2855_sharpened
>No other processing was done on any of the frames.
>I must admit I'm quite impressed with this old bit of glass.
>The only problem was finding enough room to get back far enough between
>the garden furniture.
>cheers
>Douglas

Good Evenin' Douglas!

The o'l Beroflex is not a bad lens!  Though Beroflex sounds vaguely=
 Teutonic in nature, I'm betting it's a third-party Japanese lens.

Yes?
No?

I agree, 2.4 meters is not an inspiring close focus limit in normal use.=
  No wonder they added a 'close-up' mode!  Tell me, if you will, what is=
 the close focus limit with the 'close-up' mode engaged.  It still seems=
 like about a meter or so... though I'm unfamiliar with the plant, so it's=
 hard to judge.

BTW: I take it you now prefer "Neat Image" to "Focus Magic"?  Certainly the=
 sharpening seems effective and more subtle than FM.  I've downloaded the=
 Freeware version and will give it a try.

Thanks for the 'heads up'. And thanks for taking the time to make some=
 quick shots in failing light, so that we wierdo's on the other side of the=
 planet (where it's not yet noon) could have a peek! :-)

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm