Re: a blessing and a curse

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 10:47:17 -0700

Hi Doug!

You said:

>I have this DOF problem with much shorter lenses too, but then I'm using a
>much lower ISO and larger apertures.  The best work-around for me has been
>to get the crucial elements of the critter all in the plane of focus:

OK ... so you mean more like this?

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/marmot-2.htm  ?

>This was made with a 250mm lens, cropped slightly, at f/4.  Critical focus
>on the eyes is essential, but I also wanted the rest of the bird's head
>and as much plumage as possible in focus too.

I ageree, if the eyses aren't sharp, the photo isn't sharp. But sometimes, the
eyes aren't enough.

>One of the Really Big
>Things I like about the SL's viewfinder is that I can quickly and
>accurately tell what parts are in focus no matter where the bird is in the
>viewfinder.  By shifting my position slightly I'm often able to place the
>plane of focus on as much of the bird as possible.  This is one of the
>blessings of using a shorter focal length, and one of several reasons I'd
>rather not use extreme focal lengths: with a shorter lens, the change in
>position required to shift the angle of the plane of focus is smaller.

The use of a Really Big Lens is an huge asset for amateurs (me) who don't have
your stalking skills and with waterfowl, where they are often far from shore.

As for shorter focal lengths, where I am it's often very difficult to get that
close to the beasts.  But the Marmots aren't *too* skittish, so I'll go back on
the next sunny day and try it w/o the converter.

The Really Big Dissappointment with the 20D is the finder.  It's quite usable,
but along the lines of the R3. Rather sad, acutally, in that it is otherwise
quite a nice camera.

BTW: your trush shot...

>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/thrushes/mobl00.html

Is magnificent... as usual!

Thanks, as always, for sharing your experience and wisdom.

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt