RE: The Polarthon

  • From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:29:44 -0800

David Young showed:

Subject: The Polarthon

>>Yesterday was the start of our week-long Polar Carnival.
The lead-off event, is the Polarthon... a 2.5km skate, 2.5km run and a 7.5km
X-country ski.   Younger kids, do it as a relay team, though some go with
the adults and "run" the whole course.  The skating portion is held on one
of the few, long-track speed skating ovals in western Canada.  Carved out of
Logan Lake, itself, it is a regulation 400 meter oval, as opposed to the 111
meter short-track ovals found in most ice arenas.
So we start with the skate...  (Note the wig ... most participants don't
take the Polarthon too seriously...)
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon1.html

While most have proper speed skates, many kids are followed by their dads,
on hockey skates.
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon2.html

Some even try to race on figure skates!
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon3.html

Nobody said the run to the ski hill would be easy...
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon4.html

By the end of the ski, many were exhausted...
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon5.html

While others simply found it a challenge to stay upright ...
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon6.html

Well done David! Particularly in the freezing cold. I don't do snow anymore
other from the warmth of  my home through the windows or a very quick open
door, shoot, close door! :-)

Several friends have asked am I shooting the 2010 Winter Olympics at
Whistler and in Vancouver.   NOPE!!!!!!!  Not on you life! :-)

Those who haven't shot these events have absolutely no idea the physical
demands carrying gear, wearing all the extra clothes and out side for hours
on end. Then if you're caught requiring a bath room it's hell!!!!!!!

Anyway David fear not for competition as the Polarthon is all yours
exclusively! :-)

Cheers,

ted

---