Re: Still no DMR

  • From: "Roger Beamon" <rbeamon1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 06:47:38 -0700

On 12 May 2005 at 21:53, Mark Rabiner wrote, at least in part:

> correction
> The MP is enough for me. They realized their quality roots.
> The M7 is enough for me. They took a look around at what's been
> happening in the past 30 years. The "A" setting has a "classic
> traditional" feeling to me now.
>
> It ain't "P"!
>
> For Leica to not be on the forefront of digital technology I'm sure
> is not a big surprise. MAN BITES DOG would be THIS on the cover of
> the Wall Street Journal:
>
> "LEICA SURPRISES THE WORLD BY COMING OUT WITH THE LATEST UP TO THE
> MINUTE DIGITAL CAMERA BEFORE ANY ONE ELSE SCOOPING THE MARKET!"
>
> It would have been amazing and great if this had happened. It didn't.
> It happened in the Bizarro world. Under the influence of Yellow
> Kryptonite.

Well put!

I only HOPE that Leica's realization that theirs is strictly a niche market and
their decision to stay with it is correct enough in today's world. Only time
will
tell.

It wasn't always so. Backat the time of the introduction of the M3 and before,
Leica WAS at the cutting edge. That's been different for for at least the last
30
years, now, and barring some infusion of tons of money and a new
commitment, it will stay the way it is; that is, if we're lucky and they don't
fold
altogether!

Not a damn thing that we can do about it, so we'll just have to sit back and
watch it unfold.
--
Roger
mailto:rbeamon1@xxxxxxx

   Nothing worse could happen to one than to be completely understood.
                  -- Carl Jung