Smugmug--excellent hosting option

  • From: nathan.wajsman@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:39:17 +0200

I want to thank whoever recommended Smugmug last week. I signed up for
their one-week trial period yesterday, and I am already so impressed
that I am pretty sure I will stay with it. It has several features to
recommend it:

- unlimited space
- extremely easy user interface
- you are up and running in 5 minutes
- for digital images, camera data is automatically included
- lots of control if desired: show or not show camera data, prevent
people from right-clicking and saving images etc.

For someone who does not know anything about setting up web sites, this
is a perfect solution for showing photos; for others it is simply a
great deal. Prices range from $30/year for the basic package to
$100/year for the 'pro' version, which among other things lets you use
your own domain instead of the standard 'something.smugmug.com'. Like this:

http://www.fotoexplosion.com/
(I have just put a bunch of snaps from a family gathering in France,
because that is what I had on my USB stick at work)

I know there are free services like Photo.net, pbase and even our own
Leica Gallary, but I have to say that smugmug is vastly superior to any
of those.

Thanks again to those who recommended it.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Almere, Netherlands
http://www.nathanfoto.com