Re: Old III's

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:40:55 +0100

Gerry wrote:

Malcolm Taylor sorted out an obscure shutter problem on my M3 a few years
ago, he seems to be the one they turn too when everyone else is stumped.

Including Leitz themselves by all accounts - I think they gave him one of the original O Leicas to restore. He describes himself as 'fussy' - which I told him was a very good trait in a Leica repairer.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with the III and the Elmar, I
have one which I inherited a few years ago and now that I am "retired" I
thought I would send it to him some time soon to sort out so I can play with
it.

The important point is that it's not good for these old soldiers to be languishing in a cupboard or a display case unused. Mine had cracked blinds as a result, but now has genuine replacement Leica blinds, which should be good for another 70 years or so. And it will be used!

 Mine is late (about 1938 I think) and in superb condition cosmetically,
having had only 20-30 films through it. I know the history since new as it
was "in the family", the original owner was killed in the first months of
WW2.  Unfortunately the uncoated Elmar has some fungus, so may not be
salvageable, I may swop my bayonet 2.8 Elmar for a screw one to use with it.

The provenance is what makes these things so interesting. My '32 Standard, which I bought at auction many years ago, had a sale receipt dating from 1942 for the sum of UK£17 19s 0d, which was a fair amount of money for a s/h camera in those days.

As to the Elmar, it really depends how far the fungus has gone. If
it's etched the glass, there may be a problem. Otherwise Malcolm may
well be able to clean it up and coat it for you.

He certainly did the honours on my 'new' 85/1.5 Summarex, which was
just beginning to show signs of fungal attack. See:

 http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/summarex1.html

This now graces a IIIf with Barnack winder. I use the Leitz 90mm b/l
finder, which is near enough for my purposes. Unless anyone's got a
Leitz 85 b/l they don't want..... :-)

Best

Alex

--