Old III's

  • From: "Gerry Young" <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:45:35 +0100

> Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:41:00 +0100
> From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
> Subject: The story of a black-paint III(?)

(snip)

> My wife gave me a beautiful, cosmetically mint, black-paint Leica III
> for my big six zero last March - it was even older than me, but
> looked in much better condition!
>
> However, it needed some mechanical and optical work done on it, so I
> sent it across to my Leica guru, Malcolm Taylor, in the UK.

Malcolm Taylor sorted out an obscure shutter problem on my M3 a few years
ago, he seems to be the one they turn too when everyone else is stumped.
I will be interested to hear how you get on with the III and the Elmar, I
have one which I inherited a few years ago and now that I am "retired" I
thought I would send it to him some time soon to sort out so I can play with
it.  Mine is late (about 1938 I think) and in superb condition cosmetically,
having had only 20-30 films through it. I know the history since new as it
was "in the family", the original owner was killed in the first months of
WW2.  Unfortunately the uncoated Elmar has some fungus, so may not be
salvageable, I may swop my bayonet 2.8 Elmar for a screw one to use with it.

Gerry Young