Re: Macro Comparison Leica v. Yashica

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <douglasmsharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:26:43 +0200

Hi Doug,
no intention of selling it at all, I am still, as they say in Yorkshire,
absolutely gob-smacked about the performance. My belief in the proverbial excellence of Leica glass is more than a little shaken.
I wonder if it's a Zeiss design badged as Yashica?
I actually paid only around 50 euros for it about 6 years ago at a photo flea-market and never really used it much on my Contax - probably too busy playing with Leicas.

I'll try shooting some graph paper to check the corner performance, not too sure how I can make sure that the paper is absolutely parallel to the sensor plane but I'm sure I can work something out.
Any suggestions?
What I'm looking for now is a Contax/Yashica 27mm ring which brings the lens up to 1:1.

cheers from Hannover
Douglas
telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
"Douglas M. Sharp" <douglasmsharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2 full-frame shots taken with a Macro-Elmarit 4/100mm and a
Yashica ML 2,8/55mm Macro both at f8, Canon 20D at ISO 100, tripod mounted, daylight.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/Leicaf8_full_frame
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/CY_full_frame

2 centre crops from the same shots
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/Leicaf8
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/CY_f8

Douglas, don't sell that Yashica lens!

I'd heard that the performance of the 100 Elmar (note: it's not Elmarit) left
something to be desired.  You'd think that the longer focal length would be of
some benefit, making the light path closer to perpendicular to the sensor plane
- but it appears that the Yashica's resolution is just plain better.  How is it
in the corners?

Doug Herr Birdman of Sacramento http://www.wildlightphoto.com