M3 etc.

  • From: "Gerry Young" <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:27:29 +0100

> From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: the best M body ...
> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 05:13:04 -0700
>
> > I'm curious...but never used an M3...
> >
> > Leica M3...?  the best built M body ever  ?   with the best
> > viewfinder of all ?
> >
> > is this the common wisdom?
> >
> > is it true?
> >
> > other pro's/cons?
> >
> > other thoughts, or considerations about the best M3 of all  ?
> >
> > anyone care to compare, especially to  M5, M6 M7  ....
> >

> > Steve

I have an M3 which I bought in 1968, its one of the last major batch made
(serial 1158677).  It was bought when I worked in a shop in Montreal and I
chose it in preference to the M4 which had just come out because I preferred
the viewfinder.  At the time I used 135mm regularly for sports work, and the
M4 etc. 135mm frame is so small as to be virtually useless for such work
(0.72 viewfinder of course, all there was in those days!)  The frame lines
are much more distinct on the M3 as well.  At the time nobody (especially
our repairer) ever suggested to me that the M2 was any worse made than the
M3.
After getting an R2 to play with, I found the built in meter so much more
convenient that I went out found some extra work (I am "retired") so that I
could afford to update the Leica stuff, after 30 years in denial I bought an
M6TTL 0.72.
Comparisons?  I still prefer the M3 viewfinder is clearer and less cluttered
with unused frames.  If/when the M6 needs an overhaul I will see if I can
get the 75 and 135 frames removed, the 28mm I can't see with my glasses on
anyway!  The "ideal" would have been to have incorporated something into the
M3 viewfinder to show the 35mm frame, either a swing in negative lens or
more likely an external clip on equivalent to the "specs" on the M3 35mm
lenses.  The failure to improve on the best model they had and bringing out
the M4 compromise was (IMHO) the first move on the downward slope,
previously there had been continuous improvement as each new model came out.
The "whiteout" from flare is there occasionally, but I can cope with that by
moving my eye slightly. Erwin Puts says its there on all the M2,4,5,6
models, howecome it took the best part of 50 years to cure it on the MP!
As  I wear glasses I have always found it hard to see the 35mm frame on the
0.72 viewfinder, but most of what I do is landscape etc, so its not much of
a problem to look round the corners to see precise framing, if I am doing
stuff which needs quick and precise framing I sometimes use the M3 35mm
Summicron on the M6.
Noise?  the M6 is definitely noisier than the M3, I bought it second-hand
but it still had its protective covering on the base and rewind knob.  A
fine layer of dust uniformly over all the top surfaces and no sign of  marks
on the pressure plate seemed to confirm the dealers comment that it was a
collectors showcase item.  So its both very new and a bit dry from lack of
use, maybe it will quieten down with use.  It is in any case far quieter
than anything else I have apart from the M3.
Don't be put off by the loading on the M3, having lost one roll in the M6
when it didn't take up and I didn't notice, the time spent checking that the
M6 is really winding on the film means its no quicker than the M3 to load
Its lovely to see so many great photos on here, especially those taken on
Leica gear ;-)
I'm not really just an equipment nut but just haven't had the time to scan
anything in for ages!  In any case I think my stuff is a bit ordinary
compared to the work on display here.  Keep up the good work lads.

Gerry Young