Re: Leica Digest V2 #139

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 03:57:55 -0700

On 5/23/05 3:50 AM, "V.Roger" <vroger@xxxxxxxxx> typed:

> Did I sell him a Miranda? No actually Smith was using
> an Olympus Pen  F in those days. I specifically
> remember asking him- since he did an advert for that
> camera what did he think of it- and he loved it. I
> never forgot that. I was lucky- a neighbor had one day
> told me something to the effect- that since I was a
> photographer maybe I'd heard of her cousin. That gave
> me the opening to be able to speak to WES. Soft spoken
> and unassuming. - vroger

I downloaded that full page add of him for the Pen F system when I got mine,
a black one a few years ago.
Not such sharp lenses though it seems so far.
Certainly not compared to Leica M.
Or Nikon even.
I thought with a smaller image circle like that but no.
Less sharp than with glass of the full frame image circle.
I'm big on Maitani.

Everyone's shooting in effect half frame now only they call it APS-2 for
digital. The 1.5 factor.  With all that cool compact glass I wish they'd
make film cameras for that glass. DX or DC or whatever.

I think T grain films have made half frame the ideal size for getting the
kind of quality you got in the 50s and 60s certainly with full frame and
then films. If not better.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon