Interesting Effects - Multiple Exposure

  • From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Enthusiasts Group <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:48:22 -0800 (PST)

Several weeks ago Harrison McClary showed a few photos of a waterfall that he
had taken multiple exposures on a single negative.

  I had tried this technique before, but never on coastal surf, so I thought I
would give it a try a few weeks ago. Just got around to developing the film
this weekend.

  One of the better images, I think, is here:

  http://raflexions.com/CACoast/content/2007_12_SurfBW00_adj_2_10x10_large.html
  or
  http://tinyurl.com/2765d2

  The results are much more dramatic than the actual surf was that day. The
multi-exposure technique has magnified the spray by recording the sprays of
multiple wave hits as one and also dramatically enhancing the churning of the
surf to the right of the rocks. The surf was only about 10 - 12 feet (nothing
to fool around in, but nothing like the 20 - 30 foot swells expected tomorrow
on the Northern CA coast); this technique seems to give it a much stronger look.

  Thanks for looking and any comments appreciated,
  Bob