Re: Interesting Effects - Multiple Exposure

  • From: wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 23:14:18 -0500 (EST)

Bob Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Several weeks ago Harrison McClary showed a few photos of a waterfall that he
>had taken multiple exposures on a single negative.
>
>  I had tried this technique before, but never on coastal surf, so I thought I
> would give it a try a few weeks ago. Just got around to developing the film
> this weekend.
>
>  One of the better images, I think, is here:
>
>  http://raflexions.com/CACoast/content/2007_12_SurfBW00_adj_2_10x10_large.html
>  or
>  http://tinyurl.com/2765d2
>
>  The results are much more dramatic than the actual surf was that day. The
> multi-exposure technique has magnified the spray by recording the sprays of
> multiple wave hits as one and also dramatically enhancing the churning of the
> surf to the right of the rocks. The surf was only about 10 - 12 feet (nothing
> to fool around in, but nothing like the 20 - 30 foot swells expected tomorrow
> on the Northern CA coast); this technique seems to give it a much stronger
> look.
>
>  Thanks for looking and any comments appreciated,
>  Bob

Bob,

I agree the technique is promising.  In Harrison's photos using this technique
and in this photo of yours it seems that the camera position is slightly
different in some of the exposures so that the rocks look a bit blurry.  Is
this what you intended?  If I were to try this I'd try welding the camera to a
block of granite (slight exaggeration) to keep the camera is the exact same
position for each exposure.  Or maybe I'm expecting too much.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com