Re: Friday Flowers

  • From: SonC@xxxxxxx
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:09:47 EDT

Thanks for the nice words.  I was shooting  my Leica *ist Ds  at 400 ISO   f
2.8  at about 1000th, in  the shade.  I mostly use the 28 af lens in manual
focus on this  camera.   I just happened to have noticed the technical, but
usually,  I am seeking limited dof for this kind of shot, so it almost always
is
at  2.8.

Regards, Sonny

In a message  dated 7/8/2005 11:19:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
vlc-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
Sonny,
You have posted some wonderful flower images in the past  few weeks.

Funny, how there is little technical information on the shots  posted by many
since digital has come along.
Many of my art students ask,  "how did you mix that color?" when looking at
my painting. I don't always  remember exactly what colors were used, so I
have to demonstrate by mixing  them on my pallette and observing which colors
were used. Much of painting  after many years of practice is intuitive. There
is one nationally known  artist who is very technical in approaching his
canvas, and he has made  color charts that he refers to
while painting. His work is admired by many,  and he is called the "artist's
artist" because of his beautiful work.
He  has mastered the fundamentals of drawing, composition, etc.but it is what
he  says with his brush that makes his work stand out.
The person who is  endeavoring to imitate another artist is always interested
in the technical  aspects of painting , while the average onlooker just asks,
'How long did it  take you to paint that?"
When looking at Ted Grant's & Sandy Carter's  book on 'Woman In Medicine' I'm
drawn first of all to the image, then I  start wondering what lens did they
use, what aperture and shutter speed, the  film?
I believe that is why most of us are on this site. We are interested in  the
equipment used, details about the image, and technical aspects of how it  was
taken.  We all love excellence in any craft, and we admire those  who seem to
have a keen eye for what makes a wonderful  image.

Nathan's posting is one of my favorites, because he shares with us  a little
slice of his life and what is going on around him.  Doug's  wildlife shots
inspire me as well.
The simplicity of the image with a  creature brought up close, in sharp
detail, so we can enjoy seeing them in a  more intimate way than we could
observe  them with our eyes alone. And  the Leica does give wonderful images.
I enjoy all of the postings and don't  want to leave out anyone who has
posted some wonderful work. I don't take  the time to comment, but I enjoy
the efforts of all
who share with  us.

I'll shut up now and get to work. Sorry, if I have bored too many  with my
ramblings.

Venture