Re: Friday Flowers

  • From: "Venture Coy" <vlc-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:19:21 -0600

Sonny,
You have posted some wonderful flower images in the past few weeks.

Funny, how there is little technical information on the shots posted by many since digital has come along.
Many of my art students ask, "how did you mix that color?" when looking at my painting. I don't always remember exactly what colors were used, so I have to demonstrate by mixing them on my pallette and observing which colors were used. Much of painting after many years of practice is intuitive. There is one nationally known artist who is very technical in approaching his canvas, and he has made color charts that he refers to
while painting. His work is admired by many, and he is called the "artist's artist" because of his beautiful work.
He has mastered the fundamentals of drawing, composition, etc.but it is what he says with his brush that makes his work stand out.
The person who is endeavoring to imitate another artist is always interested in the technical aspects of painting , while the average onlooker just asks, 'How long did it take you to paint that?"
When looking at Ted Grant's & Sandy Carter's book on 'Woman In Medicine' I'm drawn first of all to the image, then I start wondering what lens did they use, what aperture and shutter speed, the film?
I believe that is why most of us are on this site. We are interested in the equipment used, details about the image, and technical aspects of how it was taken. We all love excellence in any craft, and we admire those who seem to have a keen eye for what makes a wonderful image.

Nathan's posting is one of my favorites, because he shares with us a little slice of his life and what is going on around him. Doug's wildlife shots inspire me as well.
The simplicity of the image with a creature brought up close, in sharp detail, so we can enjoy seeing them in a more intimate way than we could observe them with our eyes alone. And the Leica does give wonderful images.
I enjoy all of the postings and don't want to leave out anyone who has posted some wonderful work. I don't take the time to comment, but I enjoy the efforts of all
who share with us.

I'll shut up now and get to work. Sorry, if I have bored too many with my ramblings.

Venture

----- Original Message ----- From: <SonC@xxxxxxx>