RE: Christmas in The Land of Enchantment

  • From: Gary Dalton <grdalton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:48:47 -0800

Mark,
Thank you for looking and responding...

My wife's family is from NM, so we fly to Albuquerque from Bay Area,
California, every other Christmas. It's always a feast for the eyes as well as
a gastronomic treat. My enjoyment of posole, red enchiladas, sopapillas,
biscochitos, tamales, frijoles de la olla suggest that I was New Mexican in a
prior life. I tend to eat too much red and green chile. I put it on everything
except ice cream...

And, then, there's Theresa's cousin, a risk-taker in the kitchen. Despite its
Martha Stewart origins, the Christmas Day dinner felt Southwestern, indeed...

Hmm.... Los Cerillos... It sounds familiar. To get to Casa Webb -- Al and
Denise's house -- we take 40 East to the cutoff for Tijeras and the Sandia Ski
Area. We climb the hill to the cutoff for the ski area, but proceed onward
toward Madrid. A few miles  before Madrid, we turn left in what might be called
the San Pedro Commons, a ranch that was sliced up into 10-acre parcels. It's
big sky country, for sure, but a bit hazy the day I was there... I was caught
up in all of the little shots while I was there as their sprawling home is
hidden in the pinon...

I wanted to return to Petroglyph but we were only there six days and ran out of
time. Missed the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center this time, too...

Wow! You're still on your honeymoon.... Best wishes... You didn't buy your
rings at Penfield's by chance?

I'm pulling up a vision of the Great Kiva at Aztec in my head. Years ago, I was
fascinated by archaeo-astronomy. We crawled through Four Corners, Mesa Verde,
Chaco Canyon and ultimately Aztec as we headed toward Albuquerque. We spent the
night around a fire in a kiva in Chaco during a fierce thunderstorm. What a
night!

Very nice to hear from you, Mark...

Where's your abode in California?

Regards,

Gary

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:17:50 -0800
From: markbohrer@xxxxxxx
To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Christmas in The Land of Enchantment

    Message body

    Gary:

    Thanks for posting these.

    They make me wish I was walking with my wife and dog at Petroglyph
    National Monument, or enjoying lunch at the Gold Street Cafe, or
    dinner at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. We do have electric
    farolitos and chili lights out in front here in California, but it's
    not the same...

    Were you staying near Los Cerillos? Those ristras on either side of
    the Casa Web doorway are beautiful. And the other interior and
    exterior shots - pretty place!

    Reminds me a little of La Posada de Taos, when my friend Sue Smoot
    was running it.

    We bought wedding rings from a shop on the Old Town Albuquerque
    plaza, and got married in the restored Great Kiva at Aztec Ruins
    National Monument last year (2009).

    Do you live out there?

    Mark

    Mark Bohrer
Active Light Photography
www.activelightphotography.com
Any Product. Any Location. Your Story.

    On 12/31/2010 11:16 AM, Gary Dalton wrote:

      http://filmuser3.smugmug.com/Other/Christmas-in-New-Mexico/15272418_yuUQL