Adams, O'Keefe and Avedon at SF MOMA

  • From: Mark Bohrer <markbohrer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, digitalusersgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:36:46 -0700

The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is currently hosting exhibitions of Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams: Natural Affinities and Richard Avedon: Photographs 1946-2004. My fiancee Pat and I saw both these excellent shows last Sunday, along with other exhibits that made us wonder about what passes for art.

Avedon photographed everybody who made news in the 20th century, from musicians like Janice Joplin to artist Andy Warhol to politicians like Jimmy Carter and George Wallace. The show also includes pictures of hard-luck everyday people from rural America, plus some of his fashion work. SF MOMA is the only U.S. site for this show, and it's well worth seeing.

MOMA's interior architecture is almost as interesting as what's hung on the walls:
http://tinyurl.com/l4tsya

These shots are a bit different for me - they're pretty much environmental street scenes like the ones I used to shoot as a kid in north-suburban Chicago.

I used an M8 with either 90mm Tele-Elmarit or 35mm Summicron-M ASPH for all images.

All comments welcome.

--
Mark Bohrer
Active Light Photography