[leasbirds] Re: Lewis's Woodpecker still present near Shallowater, Lubbock County - Great Horned Owl

  • From: Floyd Robertson <47robertson02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 14:21:37 -0600

Just off HWY 84 on CR 1100 about 200 feet, there is a group of trees.  Clarice
spotted a Great Horned Owl in the last tree of that group.  It is in the last
tree, right against the trunk.
I got several photos of it.

The line of trees leading west to the shed is about .7 mile from HWY 84.
A Red-tailed Hawk was in those trees by the shed about 9:30am.
We could not spot the Woodpecker, too cold to stand outside!

Floyd and Clarice Robertson
Lubbock TX
47robertson02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:53:14 -0600
Subject: [leasbirds] Lewis's Woodpecker still present near Shallowater, Lubbock
County
From: fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx

Greetings All:

Phillip Kite and I watched and photographed the Lewis's Woodpecker from 2:05 to
2:45 PM this afternoon and, when we left the bird was still there.  To see the
bird drive south from Highway 84 on CR 1100 (turn off of Highway 84 at the rest
area just west of Shallowater) and proceed to where there is a large orchard to
the east and a line of trees leading to a large shed to the west.  The bird is
frequenting the large trees near the shed.  Be advised, there is also a
Northern Flicker present at this site.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock