[korgypark] Re: Cable question and Sequencer also

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 20 Jun 2002 09:23:51 +0100

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 06:06, Art wrote:

> Question, is the host to PC cable better?

In my experience the host to PCIF cable is better if you want to use the
sound editing software.  I have never got this to work properly with the
a standard MIDI connection.

If you want to send large amounts of SysEx data to the synth, the PCIF
is better as it transfers data faster than a standard MIDI connection.

> Which sequencers work best with the Korg? I have a demo version of
> Sibelius which seems to be the best one for MIDI connectivity. Has
> anyone used Sibelius 2?

Why not try and get hold of a (free) copy of Logic Fun?  This is
available on some magazine cover CDs, or from your local distributor
(under certain conditions).  Logic Fun is a very cut down version of
Emagic Logic Audio.  The next version up (MicroLogic) is a great way to
get started with in MIDI sequencing and hard disk recording, from there
you can upgrade to higher versions as you need more features.

If all you want to do is produce professional looking scores, Sibelius
is probably the way to go, but it is _very_ expensive.

Personally, I'd stay away from Steinberg software.  I've been
consistently disappointed with their products, in terms of features
offered, stability and value for money.  Emagic products are generally
slightly more expensive, but I've been consistently impressed with their
products.  I was once a die-hard fan of Cubase, but then I friend
persuaded me to switch to Logic and I realised just how bad Cubase was.
Since then I've tried a number of Cubase demos and each has failed to
impress.

Of course, the newly released Cubase SX may be completely different, but
it is expensive, in short supply right now and only runs on XP, so
you'll need meaty hardware for it to run properly.

--
best regards,

Andy

Visit our website at http://tao-group.com/