[kochi_hw_club] Re: Modem based on Conexant chipset ?

  • From: "Zaheer Mohamed Kozhakkaniyil" <zaheermk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kochi_hw_club@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:14:02 -0500

Hello Bobby,

        I don't know what I should do with my existing modem, which Suse 9.0
detected as Smartlink PCI562, which Smartlink claims to be supported in
Linuxand also for which they drivers in their website. My dealer said the
modem is of Intex brand. I downloaded different versions of drivers
'smlinkmodem' 2.7.10, 2.7.14 etc. from www.smlink.com[1] and
www.linmodems.org[2] and tried installing them under Slackware 9.0, Suse 9.0
and Fedora 1. Everything went fine and on reboot the modem was correctly
detected as Smartlink AMRMO modem. But in all distros, the modem after
dialling the no., it goes into a never ending 'modem initialization' phase.
And a peculiar thing, after I close 'Kppp' after this never ending 'modem
initialization' phase, the keyboard doesn't work, following which I have to
reboot, if I want to use the keyboard. This happens in all the distros under
all accounts.