[klaatumail] Re: Recent events

  • From: robert hélie <francine.fgh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 20:49:35 -0400

Where did everybody go?  I have not seen a post since 4 this afternoon.  Now
that my accout has been move to my house, I was hoping to participate more
and lurk less.

I usually look to this list for a balanced discussion on Klaatu's music,
music in general and, yes, the odd curent event.  I find the people here
very articulate and sensible about things in general.  There is the odd
flare up (I have seen a few in my 15 years here) and then we go on with our
lives, having grown from the experience.

This is happening again.  This is no small event and I tend to respect
people's feelings on both sides of the fence.  If there is a culprit here, I
would say it is crude oil and we are all victims and we are all to blame at
the same time. I am sure most will disagree with this sweeping statement.
Nevertheless, it is a fact. Agreeing with or refuting it is irrelevant.

With this long preamble, I only wish to share two observations that struck
me but which do not seem to have been noticed as important.  First, I
noticed people demonstrating in the streets.  I can understand the relief at
eliminating a threatening figure but the expression of that relief was very
similar to what I have seen happen in the Middle-East in the past.  No value
judgement, just an observation.

The second thing that jumped at me is the quick burial at sea.  I read the
arguments but, still, in a society which gets hung up with the birth
certificate of its own President, how on earth will they live this one down?

Robert