[klaatumail] Re: My Mom the Poet

  • From: DPhillips@xxxxxxxx
  • To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:49:41 -0400

Dean;

        I sure am sorry to hear about your Mom's passing... My mother and
I are really close, and I can't imagine my life without her being in it.
She sounded like an amazing woman with a lot of talent.  It's great you
have so much you can look back on.  I offer you a song that I wrote about
my Mom several years back.  I may be hokie, but it sure was a special
moment to have played this song to her on a mother's day some sunny day.

You Were The One,
who guided me thru younger years
who helped stand and face my fears
who picked me up and wiped my tears

You Were The One
who stood behind me thick or thin
who sang my praises lose or win
I always could find hope within.

And I wonder where I'd be tonight...I wonder who I'd be tonight
I wonder what kind of man I'd be today
If you weren't the one... but you are the one
You brought the daylight to my skies of grey
...and you are my Mom.

You Are The One
who lends an ear to all my plans
who's always been my biggest fan
who gives me strength to try again

You Are The One
who always has a helping hand
who always helps me understand
and makes my birthday's bright and grand

And I wonder where I'd be tonight...I wonder who I'd be tonight
I wonder what kind of man I'd be today
If you weren't the one.... but you are the one
You brought the daylight to my skies of grey
....and you are my Mom.

Dear Mom I'll always love you, and I hope you know it's true
But I don't think that I've  said it as I should
Cause I know the day will come;  when I'll regret the deed undone
and I'll curse the days I didn't when I could

the memories are tucked a way, like shoes I first had worn
unspoken bond you hear them say...when you are the first born
        ....and I am the first born