[klaatumail] Re: Klaatu sighting!

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:47:31 -0400

Today I attended a ceremony to place a historical plaque at the site of the
former Riverboat Coffeehouse in Yorkville Village -- a hippie haven that
rivaled Haight-Ashbury and Greenwich Village between 1966 and 1970. The
Riverboat is where Phil Ochs wrote "Changes", Buffy Sainte-Marie wrote
"Universal Soldier" and Tom Rush 'The Circle Game'.

The chairman of the committee that raised funds for the plaque was Klaatu's old
promotions girl-Friday Gee Chung. Gee was the receptionist at Toronto Sound --
the recording studio where John Woloschuk first begged Terry Brown for an
assistant engineer's job and, instead, was handed a record deal.

Gee went on to work for Klaatu and is still legal council for the group's
publishing arm Magentalane Music. Anyone who attended the Konvention in 2005
may have seen this petite, but endearing Chinese woman sitting with Frank &
Linda Davies.

Anyway....in attendance at the ceremony besides Yorkville legends and Canadian
icons Gordon Lightfoot, Murray McLaughlin, Brent Titcomb (of Three's A Crowd),
David Wilcox (of Ian & Sylvia Tyson & Great Speckled Bird), The Good Brothers,
and Shirley Eikhard (the lady who wrote "Something To Talk About for Bonnie
Raitt) was none other than John Woloschuk and Frank Davies.

Frank was instrumental in the growth of the record industry from the talent
that grew out of Yorkville which made his presence a necessity -- but the
surprise was that John showed up as a representative of Magentalane Music who
donated money to see the plaque erected. A rather noble and classy gesture if I
do say so myself.

And where was the Riverboat Coffee House? 118 Yorkville Avenue...two doors from
where a teenaged Terry Draper and Dee Long were roommates in 1968 -- and long
before ever re-teaming in Klaatu.

There will be a picture posted soon of Gee, John and Frank together during the
ceremony.

I'll let you know when and where to go see it.

Jaimie Vernon,
President, Bullseye Records
1-800-JOE-RADI(O) // 1-800-563-7234
CDs: http://www.bullseyecanada.com
MP3s: http://www.bullseyesongs.com
RADIO: http://www.radiothatdoesntsuck.com
SWAG: http://www.cafepress.com/bullseyecanada
TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/bullseyecanada
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/bullseyecanada

Author, Canadian Pop Music Encyclopedia
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Pop_Encyclopedia/

PERSONAL - http://www.myspace.com/jaimievernonsmovingtargetz
               - http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/Jaimie-Vernon
BLOG - http://verminator.livejournal.com
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/jaimievernon

Windows Live helps you keep up with all your friends, in one place.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?60826