[klaatumail] Re: Klaatu sighting!

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 00:36:21 -0400

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:49:54 -0700

> I heard about this on 680 news. It would have been fun to go down and see it,
> but I coudnt. I was all of 5 years old in 1970, but for some reason or
> another, I remember the music of that time and I loved it and still do.
> Anyways, what ever became of the Riverboat Cafe?

Leslie,

The Riverboat closed its doors in 1978 as developers moved into Yorkville to
buy up those original brown-stone tenaments which the bars and coffee-houses
had occupied. The Riverboat was the last of these live venues on Yorkville Ave.
and was torn down along with The Purple Onion, The Penny Farthing and The Mynah
Bird (where Neil Young and Rick "Superfreak" James had formed a band by the
same name) to make way for what is now one of Toronto's few 5 star hotels --
Hazelton Hotel.

BTW - the last two acts to ever play there were Murray McLaughlin and Dan
"Sometimes When We Touch" Hill (who also attended the event today).

Jaimie

Create a cool, new character for your Windows Live? Messenger.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?56621