[klaatumail] Re: Klaatu questions

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 02:00:13 -0400

At Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 01:17:59 you wrote:

> definitely good news that you will be including the Bloodstone material on
> the Dee solo rarities thing. any chance of talking him into throwing a few
> new demos on there as well?
> thank you for all the info you provide. it is really interesting to read
> about the early development of these talented artists. i have learned SO
> much since joining the mailing list. i remember one of the first
> correspondses with you regarding "Live.. Years Later (Cue To The Shoe) and
> thinking
> "i'll NEVER find this. but sure enough, one day i found it (on Amazon of
> all places) for $60 brand new, still sealed, red tinted jewel case and a
> Bullseye sticker on it.
> you guys are awesome!

$60? Ouch. But glad you found it.

I don't know that putting NEW material on a CD full of Dee's old demos (all
pre-1979) would make sense -- fidelity wise or musically.

"BHB4" was a showcase for Dee's old '80s demos and with that template in mind,
the idea was to create an all '70s release to compliment that. We could have
actually mixed and matched the two eras when we assembled BHB4....as it was,
only ONE song from that time period made it on there "Never Go Back" because it
sounded as good as the other material and was a complete recording. The other
71 recordings (yes, you read that right) are nowhere near commercial
quality...except the two Bloodstone tracks [and even that is a tenuous claim].
Book-ending those with a song recorded 40 years later would be very jarring.

I could see it working if we were doing an anthology covering his whole career,
because it could be done chronologically. But for now, we're focusing on
getting the unreleased demos out there so another chapter can be closed. And
out of those 71 tracks, only 29 of them are listenable either for fidelity
reasons or performance reasons.

Jaimie Vernon,
President, Bullseye Records
1-800-JOE-RADI(O) // 1-800-563-7234
CDs: http://www.bullseyecanada.com
MP3s: http://www.bullseyesongs.com
RADIO: http://www.radiothatdoesntsuck.com
SWAG: http://www.cafepress.com/bullseyecanada
TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/bullseyecanada
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/bullseyecanada

Author, Canadian Pop Music Encyclopedia
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Pop_Encyclopedia/

PERSONAL - http://www.myspace.com/jaimievernonsmovingtargetz
               - http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/Jaimie-Vernon
BLOG - http://verminator.livejournal.com
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/jaimievernon

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?66047