[klaatumail] Re: Help with CD burning

  • From: Glen Aka Barney Rubble <barneyrubble120@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 08:40:22 -0300

Hey Tom (and friends),

Dave and Marc speak the truth... and I'll second Dave on iTunes as powerful,
intuitive software to "rip" (aka copy) music from CDs into your hard drive
(although ExactAudioCopy comes closest to doing exactly what it's named, from
what I hear). Considering a "burnt" CD-R copy at several times the play speed
(ie. 8x, 16x, 48x) rarely matches the audio definition of the original disc
(something I learnt while doing an actual gold Mobile Fidelity CD-R backup copy
of another gold-plated source CD on the DCC label, Wes Montgomery's "Full
House"... a realization then confirmed when I somehow managed to do a
theoretically impossible 0.1x CD-R copy of an LP transfer of Airto's "Free"...
Honestly! It took almost 24 hours just to write 10 minutes of audio in a
multitasking WaveLab program!)... you may be less concerned about getting an
_exact_ digital file copy of the CD than you would be in the ability to make
playlists and then burn them to CD (something iTunes does so easily, even I've
tossed my higher-quality programs aside and just gone to town with iTunes).

And if you tweak the settings right (Edit -> Preferences -> CD Burning from the
top menu, if I remember correctly), you can get your computer to start ripping
an entire CD onto your hard drive as soon as you put the CD into your
computer... After that, it's just creating a playlist, dragging songs into it
(I usually use the search bar function on top right, right click the result I
want to add and say "Add to playlist", then either selecting an existing
playlist or going "New playlist"), and then right clicking a playlist name from
the left-hand menu and selecting "Burn CD from playlist", then following the
instructions from there on. (Sorry if I'm going too fast or less than perfectly
on this, I'm going from memory and usually figure out what I've forgotten when
I'm faced with the task myself... S:^( )

If you're looking for something a little more DOS-y (but not too much), I also
enjoy the PonoMusicWorld app that can be downloaded at Pono's website. This
interface is a bit streamlined when compared to iTunes, but offers many of the
functions for which I just credited iTunes, and can handle high-resolution
audio files as well (ie. audiophile-quality FLACs and possibly DSD files too,
as the Ponoplayer now plays then)... and I believe you don't need to have a
physical Ponoplayer portable device to download this software (although my
Ponoplayer has really toned down my CD burning habits... Just drag, drop, and
carry along!). If you Google "PonoMusicWorld", you should get to the actual
Pono download site fairly quickly.

Best of luck, hopefully I helped,
Glen (aka Barney Rubble)

Sent from my iPhone

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:19:50 +0000 (UTC)
From: Tom Warfel <jeffandtom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [klaatumail] Help with CD burning

klaatusions Audio Experts, please help. Â This should not be this hard.Â
I am joining the cd burning on my computer game late and I am a little
confounded or missing something simple. Â I am trying to build a repository
of cd tracks from discs in a folder on my hard drive to later grab tracks and
create compilations. When I drag the tracks from the actual cds to my hard
drive, it is bringing them over as cda extensions, not wav or anything else.
 I am kind of getting the idea that you can only burn cda from the disc
itself in to the burning software. Â I am using Nero. Â Nero tells me that
there is a SCSI/Apt something error when I point to the folder on my hard
drive. Â I tried using media player but it won't let me point to my directory
only to the windows library??Â
I downloaded CDxp freeware to try that product and it won't let me copy
tracks from file because they are not from the disc itself. Â I changed all
of the extensions to .wav but it did not like that either.Â
I am going nuts right now trying to figure this out. Â Any clues?Â
I can convert mp3 to audio tracks and burn to a cd with no problem. Â
Thanks. Â Tom Warfel