[kismac] Re: password hash

  • From: Johnny Cache <johnycsh@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 12:59:06 -0500 (CDT)

It goes like this.

wepkey = nessus_datacom_hash(plaintext_password)

the reason you could break the key so easily is that the
nessus_datacom_hash is rediculously designed and doesnt deserve
to be called a hash at all. the hash has an output space of 21 bits, which
can be trivially brute forced.

If you really want to recover the plaintext password instead of
bruteforcing the 21 bit hash space there are tools available to do it.
one is wep_crack included in wep_tools by tim nesham, though there are
other programs that implement this.

The thing is, even if you run a plaintext password through the algorithm
and get the correct WEP key out, you don't know if it was the -correct-
plaintext password. The whole reason this algorithm is so bad is the
rediculous number of collisions.

-jc