[kismac] Re: password hash

  • From: Johnny Cache <johnycsh@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:46:34 -0500 (CDT)

The reason you can't get back to the plaintext is because
the neesus datacom 'hashing' aglorithm (i don't like to even give it the
status of a hash)  algorithm  is really, really bad.

There is a many to one mapping, for example 'cat' and 'catt' make
the same 40 bit wep key. You could hash a dictionary file and hope to
find the original, but it wouldn't get you any farther unless they
use the same password elsewhere.

-jc