[kismac] Question on USB-nics

  • From: Eric Lecht <vinylone@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:44:09 -0700

 7. I've Googled my ass off, and I can't get clear instructions on how
 precisely to connect a home-made antenna to my Ibook without breaking
 out tools and voiding the warranty. Is there a way? Are there cheap
 commercial options?

--With an iBook, there are no choices that will not void your warranty, if you want to attach an external antenna.
--If you had a PowerBook, you could use a third-party card. But there is no PC Card slot in an iBook, so you have to use the built-in card.
--The other alternative would be to use a USB WiFi adapter, but I don't know which models work with KisMac.

Gentle Kismac sorts,
I've been busy the last 6 mos (yes, who hasn't?), sorta lost some of the recent threads, but is the Airport Extreme still hosed for passive mode?
I am giving my son my Powerbook (medical emergency), and buying an iBook for myself like TODAY.
Of course it has no pc-card slot, and they ALL come w/ Airport Extremes these days.
This snippet of the last thread jarred my memory, and I wonder....what options i'll have. I did see a few DOZEN plain ol' Airport cards
for sale down at Mac Shack in Boulder, when last I visited my son at college about 7 months ago...they found a source somehow...

Couldn't find a list/discussion of USB-attachable adaptors that might be Kismac passive-mode friendly...just the admonition that AE don't
work right, and to sign the petition...can anyone point out USB-attached nics that'll work? If such exists? Happy to do the reading,
if i could find it.

warm regards, and thanks..
Eric Lecht