[kismac] Interpreting signal strength

  • From: uDecker <udecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 04:19:09 -0400

On a number of occasions, I use Kismac for work, scanning signal strength and penetration. However, using other programs, I am used to seeing numbers for Signal (numbers like -60dB), Noise (numbers like -95dB), and SNR (usually not a real ratio - just Signal minus Noise, a positive number, such as 25, when signal is -69dB and noise is -94dB, for example.)

In Kismac, we get one number - Signal. Which doesn't correspond to any dB reading I get with any other program, PC or Mac. It doesn't seem to be on a 0-100 scale, and it also doesn't seem to correspond to dB. How should I interpret the Signal reading in Kismac - how is the number generated?

Also - if I were to dig into the code - does Kismac actually get dB readings for signal and noise? I use any variety of cards with the program, from my laptop's built-in broadcom airport extreme card to pcmcia's from YDI, Orinoco, Enterasys and Cisco.

Thanks!
-Craig