i think that kernel patches are no longer necessary under tiger. i
can confirm that under tiger you can easily change the mac address of
the built in ethernet from the terminal, but can't change the mac
address of the broadcom based airport extreme card.
unfortunately my prism2 card has given up the ghost, and i am having a heck of a time finding a prism gt based card to play with.
i have one of those slick demarctech high output b cards on the way and will tests and report what i find, but i don't have high hopes since i will have to try to use the ioxperts driver with it.. but who knows? fi i can change the mac of the on board ethernet, then maybe its more of a 'works unless you explicitly break it' kind of thing.
speaking of which, can anyone out there recommend a prismgt card now? i've ordered one and returned it, most posts are about older cards that may or may not still have gt chipsets.
has anyone bought one that works recently?
-- Gerry Koh | 415.608.9777
PGP Fingerprint: 55B3 2CD2 12F8 4B1D 5EC5 E1B2 BD74 B642 879B 0F17
- Theodore Roosevelt
On Jul 19, 2005, at 8:18 PM, bob kismac wrote:
I am putting a to guide to MAC spoofing for computer retards – like I me
:). I am planning to add this in the FAQ of KisMac WiKi under the title
“MAC Address Customization on the Mac”.
Here is the information I compiled from the list and KisMac website. I am
hoping you will correct any inaccuracies or mistakes before I post the
guide. All comments are highly welcomed.
- MAC customization is not possible on airport card (extreme or normal)
- Custom address is only supported on opensource driver with a patch, be
it the sf.net with “my patch” / “WirelessMac” or GTDriver and terminal
- thus only Prism 2 and 2.5 or PrismGT based cards will allow MAC
- Customization on Prism2 USB devices can only be obtained after flashing
the firmware, downloaded from FRARS (like described in KisMac WiFi Hacks).
- USB NICs with Prism2 chipsets are the only who will allow MAC spoofing
- GTDriver and WirelessDriver will not allow mac spoofing in the range of
Broadcom Ethernet address, thus making it impossible to spoof other apple
macs using airport extreme.
- GTDriver and sf.net drivers are PCMCIA only
- No PrismGT card as of today offers external connectors (but the 3com
card has an internal hirose connector).
Stop me if I am wrong.
- WirelessMac doesn’t work in Panther and Tiger but it does in Jaguar,
thus rendering MAC spoofing on Prism2 based cards much more difficult on
Panther and Tiger?
- KisMac R62 or R65 no longer asks to install “my patch” or “WirelessMac”
on top of the sf.net driver (it didn’t in my case at least)? So to install
WirelessMac you will need to install KisMac 0.12a or bellow?
- Mick says: “no kernel patch which allows you mac spoofing with a
wireless device”. However users report success on “MAC Spoofing on the
Mac” http://slagheap.net/etherspoof/ under panther and state terminal commands are okay under Tiger, using both Ethernet and wireless cards. Who’s right?
- Firmware flashing of Prism2 devices is NOT for computer retards? Or am i missing something?
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/ direct/01/