[karc] Laser QSO across Loughborough Lake

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:12:14 -0800 (PST)

Well, it wasn't exactly a QSO. More like a very short message and lots of
signaling.

Setup: John VA3GST was on the south side of the lake with a 1 million
candlepower flashlight and a 2-metre rig. I (VE3HST) was on the north side with
a 5mW green laser and a 2-metre rig. The distance was two kilometers over water
and was line-of-sight. The time was 17:30 local, twilight but not completely
dark.

Results: I was able to see John's flashlight clearly. It was quite bright. John
was dazzled by the green laser. He said it was as intense as the sun and was
afraid to stare at it. Because it was hard to hold the laser steady, it wasn't
steady on John but flashing. He could also see it on the trees around him and
on the retro-reflective signs behind him. I was pointing the laser with the
help of binoculars, and could easily see the reflections from the signs behind
John. There was some moisture in the air and John could see the beam when I
shone it over his head. So I sent him the letter K in Morse code which he
reported immediately.

I hope we didn't startle the locals. The police didn't come calling anyway.

Future: Uncertain. We might try a modulator/demodulator to see if we could
actually communicate over the beam.

I'll try to put together a short article for the newsletter with some photos.

... Phil VE3HST

favourite sites. Download it now at
http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.