[karc] KARC HF Activity

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: KARC FreeList <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

KARC HF Activity

Tonight was the 11th consecutive weekly session of the Kingston Net on 80
metres. Here is a list of the number of KARC member check-ins for each session:

1. 11
2. 8
3. 8
4. 13
5. 8
6. 8
7. 8
8. 4
9. 5
10. 4
11. 3

So as of tonight, I am terminating the Kingston Net due to declining
interest. Thank you to all those who have checked in and participated,
and who have been net control for the last few months. If anyone else
wants to continue the Kingston Net, feel free to do so.

There have been several initiatives over the past year to
encourage some additional HF activity among KARC members. The Kingston
Fun Net slow speed CW net operated for quite a while with a very small
number of check-ins. The 2m CW practice was interesting for a few CW
operators who were already proficient in CW but failed to attract any
newcomers to CW or those who wanted to improve their speeds. The
KARC-to-KARC certificate attracted a bit of activity at the beginning,
but again only a small percentage of the KARC membership participated
and activity has ground to a halt. There seems to be little or no
interest by the vast majority of KARC members in this sort of HF
activity. I'm not blaming anyone. Everybody has their own interests and
priorities. I am simply acknowledging the level of interest shown.

So I am also proposing that the K2K Certificate activity also be
terminated because of lack of interest. Since I moved a motion at a KARC
club meeting that was approved supporting K2K, I will propose at the
April meeting that K2K be terminated.

Hopefully the sunspot cycle will soon favour HF propagation again and
there will be a renewal of interest in HF activity in the Kingston area.
There are certainly a few KARC members who operate a lot of HF, even
with the current propagation conditions. But most do not. I believe HF
is the core of amateur radio and I'm concerned that there is so little
interest.

73,

... Phil VE3HST

http://www.flickr.com/gift/