[karc] Fw: winmor

  • From: "Les Lindstrom" <les.lindstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:16:16 -0000

I have been having great success with the new mode and the set-up for
anyone who is currently operational on PSK31 or other soundcard modes should
have little difficulty making the grade.

My set-up is a great deal different as I use the 5000A with a couple of
apps that do all the work that the soundcard/Rig Blaster (or whatever) do. If anyone out
there needs  an assist please feel free to holler.
Les/ve3kfs

What is WINMOR and why do I care?
Mars members have been using Winlink (WL2K) for traffic that was
formerly handled by the MDS mail system. The old MDS used a low
cost interface such as a PK-232, WL2K is geared to a proprietary
modem that removes a kilobuck from your wallet. The PK-232 will still
connect with an RMS station using Pactor I. On Mars this is not a
problem, but on the amateur side many stations will no longer accept
Pactor I connections.
WINMOR is a soundcard mode of transmission that allows
connection to the WL2K system without a hardware modem. Much
like MT63 or any other digital mode, a program must be wrapped
around it to make it useful. In this case the program is called RMS
Express. RMS express allows you to communicate between two
stations (peer to peer) or to a WINMOR RMS station that will allow
you to use WINMOR in place of the high dollar hardware modem to
reach the internet. RMS Express also can control the SCS modem
and most radios via the CAT interface. Future versions will allow
PACKET as well. Also included is a TELNET mode that allows
connection to the system via an internet connection.

Now that you have read this far - check out the following link
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WINMOR/files/
And drill down to the "winmor primer 9 Mar 2010.pdf" file

Thanks to Fred Hambrecht W4JLE