[karc] Fw: Software and Hardware Mentioned - de VE3GSI

  • From: "John S - Taylor" <va3gst@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:01:04 -0500

Message
IN REFERENCE TO THE GENERAL MEETING OF MARCH 7, 07
A TALK GIVEN BY ERIC, VE3GSI ON CW/RTTY STATION CONCEPT.
THE FOLLOWING ARE NOTES AND A LIST OF LINKS PROVIDED BY ERIC.

-------
Though mentioned, but not discussed in detail my latest operating system
upgrade to the shack is Linux using the openSUSE install version 10.2. This
computer for now will primarily be used for my home weather station and
eventually for general radio experiments using Linux in the shack.

-------
A link to the a simple homebrew interface can be found here:
http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html
The above article shows FSK/PTT/CW - My design only used the CW circuit.

------
My radio station computer is PIII 800 MHz with Windows XP.
It is configured with:
- Antec 380 Watt power supply
- 4 serial ports
- USB v.1 and USB v.2
- 2 sound cards + two external USB soundcards in the interface
- Ethernet card connected to an Internet router

------
Contest software WriteLog by Ron Stanley, K5DJ
www.writelog.com

------
Friends software by OE8YDQ is a free add-on for WriteLog -
http://www.oe8ydq.com/index.php?id=35,0,0,1,0,0
Caution it is not an English language install

------
Main computer to rig interface - microHAM MK2R+ see:
http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/mk2r.html
and
http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/mk.html

------
The current Solar Disk image on my desktop is achieved my using a an active
desktop and linking to:
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/images/latest_mdi_igram.gif
For those interested the parent link will give you other near live disk shots:
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/images/

------
Logging software and QSL card manager is DXBase 2007 by Scientific Solutions
www.dxbase.com

-------
Ham Radio atlas software DX Atlas by Alex, VE3NEA
www.dxatlas.com

------
Iono Probe - live propagation software by Alex, VE3NEA
www.dxatlas.com/IonoProbe

------
Ham Cap - (Free) plug in for IonoProbe by Alex, VE3NEA
www.dxatlas.com/hamcap

------
CW drill programme (Free) MorseRunner by Alex, VE3NEA
www.dxatlas.com/MorseRunner

------
HF Propagation Charts from ARRL
http://www.arrl.org/qst/propcharts/

------
Logbook of the World (LoTW) Free from ARRL
http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

------
MicroHAM antenna decoder switches
http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/Antenna%20Switches/switchpack.html