[karc] Re: Fw: RAC password. and more....

  • From: Herman Kuipers <hermanva3qx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:42:53 -0500

All
I had some ideas along the same line as Bill.  I channeled my ideas to KARC for
a joint submission to RAC.   That has not happened yet so it looks like I will
have to submit my ideas independently.  I will dig up and rewrite my ideas when
I have a bit more time, in a few weeks.   I will start with putting some ideas
on this list and then to RAC.  We need to do something to improve RAC.

Herman, VA3QX
HermanVA3QX@xxxxxxxxx

          From: VA3OL <va3ol@xxxxxxxxx>
          Subject: RAC password. and more....
          To: William.Unger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                Exactly what will I gain by signing up for a password to the
RAC site?

                I know that membership is down and will continue to go down as
we all age and the youth choose to go on line and forgo the uncertainty of a
radio contact. Why use a radio when you can use skype, facebook, and whatever.

                For us oldtimers we want to play with the propagation and see
what happens. The youth don't seem to care about taking your chances on the
air. They want instant gratification.

                Me, I just want to be left alone with my little CW station and
plod along at 15 or 20 wpm.

                 But you know what? CW has lost so much bandwidth [and interest
due to the new licensing rules] that it is getting harder and harder to make
contacts. Listen to 40 meters and between SSB stations, RTTY stations and the
other digital modes... there isn't much left !

                OK, I am a dinosaur. But putting a password on the site isn't
the answer....

                Disbanding the publish arm of RAC and putting the magazine on
line might be part of the answer... only part.but if you put it online consider
the cost savings and the ability to reduce fees and hopefully the increase of
membership. {and then I would activate a password}

                But at least we wouldn't be using up trees for something that
gets read for 1/2 hour and then goes to the landfill.....or in my case.... I
recycle; RAC forbid... to as a give away at the local meeting ; hoping that
someone else will join.. But the cost of the publication is way more then the
cost of mailing it out and the paper that it is written on.

                Maybe you should give us a real option to membership, without
the magazine in print form!  NO, not the option for full membership [like the
blind subscription] and not magazine.

                But an online subscription at a seriously reduced rate. Then I
would sign up for a password and visit the site for more then callsign look ups
and fleamarket events!

                Hell, I can get that information in lot's of other places!

                Oh, and while I am on  a rant....how did you tell the
membership that RAC would have a password protected site..... was it in the
magazine, via email, or what? I guess I missed that one.

                Just one more little thing.... The Kingston Amateur Radio Club
has had 14 new hams this year! That is due to the courses that a few dedicated
members put on to entice new people. Each and everyone of them were told about
our national organization and it's benefits. If you consider the fact that KARC
has an average of 50 members a year...... getting 14 new hams is something that
should be celebrated.

                Bill, VA3OL
                Kingston, ON

          Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark
your favourite sites. Download it now!

  The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo!
Get it Now for Free!