[kag] Re: [geoqueont] Re: Re: geoaching banned by Parks Canada

  • From: "Darin Cowan" <pdcowan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geoqueont@xxxxxxxx>, <kag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:03:05 -0400

On 9 April there was a meeting about this with Parks Canada, Ontario
Geocaching Association and Geocaching.com.  That policy is a "draft" but
some park wardens may be enforcing it harshly.  A lot of information was
presented to Parks Canada, and despite their having "researched" geocaching,
a lot of the information presented was new to them.  I can say that the
meeting went well and the policy is under review, but there probably won't
be any action on changing it before the end of the year due to the nature of
how Parks Canada works.  We even took some of them on a cache hunt since
none of them had actually tried it.

Geocachers are a pretty laid-back group, but just in case anyone is really
incensed, I would ask that people please not explode in the direction of
Parks Canada as a positive dialog is being fostered, and I don't think it
would be good to give them the impression that we, as a group, are volatile.
Anyone with ideas on how this situation can be resolved in a manner that is
satisfactory to both sides is welcome to contact OGA, or geocaching.com.  We
gave them a bunch of ideas, but I am certain we didn't come close to
exhausting all possibilities.

You can learn about OGA at http://www.ontgeocaching.com/

-geoSquid / Darin Cowan
-Ontario Geocaching Association