[KACT] Re: Getting students to participate

  • From: "Kelly Deters" <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:53:43 -0500

Let's all convince Brad to present at the conference! :)

What do you say, Brad?

Kelly

On 8/23/06, Stockam, Angela <adiskin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ditto. I am very interested in getting the information for the Modeling Curriculum and looking at the first unit. Thanks for sharing!

Angela Stockam Chemistry Instructor USD 266 Maize High School 11600 W. 45th St. N. Maize, Kansas 67101 316.722.0441 ext. 2253

-----Original Message----- From: kact-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kact-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of London Reif Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:02 AM To: kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [KACT] Re: Getting students to participate

I would be interested in seeing that information.  Could that be
something presented at the conference?

>>> "Cline, Brad" <bcline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 8/23/2006 11:00 AM >>>
I do whiteboarding in all my courses.  Chemistry I, Chemistry II, and
Physics.   I have found this to be very effective in getting students to
come out of their shells.  Start out with simple things that they can
relate to.  I use whiteboarding for presenting lab results and
conclusions, presenting assigned problems from their homework, and
simply discussing what happened in a class demo.  One of my colleagues,
who adopted whiteboards after I began to use them, stated that it is
like putting the slate into the hands of the student in the old one room
school house.

I got the original idea from the Arizona State Modeling Physics Project.
ASU now has a Chemistry Modeling Curriculum out which I have found has
some real promise.  I really like the first unit.  This curriculum
centers on the use of whiteboards as well.  If anybody is interested in
seeing part of this curriculum, let me know and I will email the first
unit to you for review.  I can also give you the passkey to get all
materials from the ASU website, but would prefer not to give that out on
the listserv.

I plan to put an article concerning the ASU project in the next
newsletter... I better get busy on that, huh? :)

Bradley L Cline
Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Physics Instructor Goddard High School 2500 S
199th St West PO Box 189 Goddard, KS  67052-0189 bcline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx