[KACT] Re: Getting students to participate

  • From: "Cline, Brad" <bcline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:00:13 -0500

I do whiteboarding in all my courses.  Chemistry I, Chemistry II, and
Physics.   I have found this to be very effective in getting students to
come out of their shells.  Start out with simple things that they can
relate to.  I use whiteboarding for presenting lab results and
conclusions, presenting assigned problems from their homework, and
simply discussing what happened in a class demo.  One of my colleagues,
who adopted whiteboards after I began to use them, stated that it is
like putting the slate into the hands of the student in the old one room
school house.

I got the original idea from the Arizona State Modeling Physics Project.
ASU now has a Chemistry Modeling Curriculum out which I have found has
some real promise.  I really like the first unit.  This curriculum
centers on the use of whiteboards as well.  If anybody is interested in
seeing part of this curriculum, let me know and I will email the first
unit to you for review.  I can also give you the passkey to get all
materials from the ASU website, but would prefer not to give that out on
the listserv.

I plan to put an article concerning the ASU project in the next
newsletter... I better get busy on that, huh? :)

Bradley L Cline
Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Physics Instructor
Goddard High School
2500 S 199th St West
PO Box 189
Goddard, KS  67052-0189