[KACT] Re: Finals & Students

  • From: "Robert Bartholow" <robertbartholow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:57:15 -0600

Folks,

What a timely question, because we are finishing three days of finals.

First my final consist of three parts, equally weighted.  Since the
start of the school year, I have repeatedly told them that they will
hand in their notebook for a grade. While they are completing the
written part, I look at four different dates of notes for 10 points
each.  If the three sections it tell them to have: general information
and returned tests, notes and homework, are there, they don't get the
last 10 points. The second part, worth 50 points, 22 multiple choice
questions.  Ten of the questions are over the material since the last
test.  Why 22 questions?  Cause that is what fits on the front and back
of a single sheet of paper.  The third part, also on a single sheet of
paper consist of six short answer questions:  Such as number one this
year:  For the molecule written on the front board (maybe NH3 or CO2)
give a) the electron dot diagram, b) the polarity of the bond, c) the
shape of the molecule (specify one bond angle) and d) the polarity of
the overall molecule.

No note card, but I give them an individual periodic table with symbol,
At Mass, and At #.  No name, and I always make sure that sulfur is in
one of the naming questions so I can find out who thinks S stands for
sodium.

Question three, on the short answer is calculate the energy of a
microwave of (and I vary this wavelength with each class) wavelength 1.2
x 10 -11 meters.  I must be getting old because I give them planks
constant.

I also do something a little different that may not set well with fellow
teachers.  I make it a high stakes test.  It is worth 20 % of their
semester grade.

I don't use Scranton, because I give this test back to them and want
them to look it over.  Fortunately for me, grades aren't due until Jan
9th, and it will take a little longer to grade.

M Bartholow (Shawnee Mission North)